Saturday, October 29, 2011

Singing Group Sounds of Blackness Are Back and In Full Bubblegum Gospel Form

Bubblegum Gospel 

I remember speaking on this about a month ago when I heard gospel, R&B, black spiritual group Sounds of Blackness announce they were coming back to the music scene after being absent for many years. When I was in high school, I was a huge fan of R&B music and Soul music. If many of you don't remember the genre Soul music, it was music made by artists who could sing with soul and from the soul like Teddy Pendergrass, Aretha Franklin and Luther Vandross to mention a few (sidebar).

Well, during the 1980's, a group came out and crossed over to the R&B, soul music stations called Sounds of Blackness. Back then, I was not a Christian and thought their music was different yet cool because it not only had an R&B and Afro-centric spiritual sound to it but it was inspirational. I never thought their music as gospel music because I knew better but for some reason their music was being played on my regular R&B stations in Oakland, Ca. Even then, I liked the music but knew something was wrong with it later being called gospel music. I knew that people in the church, at least in the late 1980's, did not 'move and groove' to this type of music. There were still borders and boundaries for the most part between church music and secular music.

Read full article here

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...